Monday, January 19, 2009

Accidents Happen

Well, can't say I had a very good weekend. I guess the main thing to be thankful for is that nobody ended up getting hurt. I ended up getting in an accident driving to the store this past Saturday. A man in a Saturn ended up ignoring a stop sign and smashed into the side of Nick's truck. I ended up doing a 360 in the middle of the intersection and then hitting the curb. Thankfully nobody hit me after I did the 360. I was going about 45 miles an hour and he had to have hit me pretty good to make me do a 360. I didn't even see him coming because I had the right of way on a one way street. His car was absolutely totaled. While the damage doesn't look that bad on the truck, the axle is bent pretty good and the frame might have some damage. The dealership said it would also probably need all new side panels. Thankfully I was not at fault and won't have to pay out of my pocket.

This whole thing is kind of ironic because Nick got into an accident in high school with my Saturn. He ended up hitting a truck. This time I was driving his car, which was a truck, and ended up getting hit by a Saturn. I was a little more fortunate though and didn't suffer any injuries. Emma was sitting shotgun in the car with me and she is okay too, despite not wearing her seat belt. I had my seat belt on and didn't suffer any whip lash or soreness the next day. It was pretty scary however.

I'd like to thank Kristie for being able to come and pick up Emma and also pick me up from the tow lot. I was lucky to have someone around because it would have been a heck of a lot more difficult if nobody was around.

What really gets me is that this is a pain in the ass that I wish I didn't have to deal with, especially when you aren't at fault. Oh well, on to some positive. I finally got my sub certificate and should be getting some jobs by the end of the week which will be nice. Things have been pretty boring here lately, especially the last two days knowing that you can't get out even if you don't necessarily have anywhere to go. I walked to the rental car place today and ended up getting a pretty nice rental car. I knew the guy that worked there through one of Kaley's friends and ended up getting a Ford F-150 for the time being. At least I'm able to get out and around until the truck gets repaired.

It was a bad sports weekend as I watched the Wolverines, Pistons, and Red Wings all loose. What is up with that? The Pistons really need to start turning it around. Don't even get me started on Michigan hoops, they can't handle big games and I guess big post players because both Illinois and Ohio State ate them up in the paint.

One good thing that happened this weekend is that the weather finally started to warm up a little bit. It was 53 out yesterday and I ended up going for a long walk at Holmes Lake with Kaley's mom and Emma. It really got me looking forward to the end of winter. Today wasn't as warm however. Not really much else is new around here. Been doing a lot of thinking about what is going to happen in the future and just trying to take it one day at a time. The accident really did get me thinking a lot.

By the way, I was going to name my blog something different, hence the title "To Be Determined" . I thought about it for a little while and I think it has a kind of good dual meaning for the stage of my life that I am at right now. Everything is kind of all up in the air right now- I guess to be determined. It also serves as motivation for me to figure out what it takes to be determined to make the best of your life no matter what your circumstances are and who is involved in your life or not involved. I guess it takes determination to get through everyday so I am going to keep the Blog title as it is and that is my rationale in case you were wondering.

Other random updates:

-I watched Gran Tourino this weekend. I highly reccomend that movie.Great story, great setting, great message. Clint Eastwood is a bad ass.

- Found a cool blues bar in town last week called the Zoo Bar. It's all jazz and blues rock music. Had a great band that I went and listened to. Think I'll be going there a little more often just to get out a bit even if it is on my own.

-Got in contact with the basketball team which has been struggling their past 7 games. Lost 6 of 7. I was actually going to go watch them on Saturday but that accident messed up all my plans for the weekend.

-Looking forward to watching the inaguration tomorrow. I think Obama has the chance to be the next Roosevelt (Franklin) if things start going his way and he can turn the economy around, or the next Hoover if he isn't able to. Regardless, these next four years are going to be an interesting part of our history as a nation and it all starts tomorrow with the inaguration. There is a lot of racism that is still existant in society and I think that is something that will never fully cease to exist. I just hope people will be able to look beyond race and view Obama as a man that has the nation's best interest in mind. Enough about that because I could go on for a while, I'll spare you.

Next time I'll try not to wait so long in between updates. Cheers everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Jeff

    We are so thankful you are okay and love reading this blog -- We are always here for you.

    Love

    Mom & Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jeff
    Good Blog
    Keeps us (Grams & Aunt Cherri)updated as to what you are up to
    You seem to be getting good at photography with the new camera.
    Glad your okay and just goes to show you can survive anything with faith and it all happens for a reason!
    Take Care
    Aunt Cher and Grams
    Grams says call her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you weren't hurt in the accident! Love that you are so detailed in this blog. It makes me miss you less (just barely!) You have to check out my American Idol blogs! I posted a link in my blog, but you can find my posts at www.americanidol.com.

    I also saw Gran Turino, and yes it's AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watching the UofM/Perdue basketball game and thought of you!

    I love that picture of Emma on the righthand side of your blog :) I miss Emma...and I guess I miss you a little too!

    Glad to see you're ok after the accident.

    ReplyDelete